ADA Advisory Committee

Meeting Minutes

May 6, 1999, Thursday

5:00 p.m., SAIL


I. Roll Call

Members Present: Earl Clark, Ken Dean, Cheryl Hull, Pamela Mueller-Guy, Robert Gregovich, Lolus Westbrooks

Members Absent: Rita Bowen

Staff Present: Amber Ceffalio, Interpreter

John Kern, Transit Manager

Others Present: None

The meeting was called to order at 5:09 p.m. at the offices of SAIL on Industrial Boulevard by CLARK. A quorum was present.

GREGOVICH arrives.

II. Public Participation on Non-Agenda Items: None

III. Approval of Agenda: Approved unanimously.

IV. Approval of Minutes - March 4, 1999: Approved unanimously.

V. New Business

A. Sitka ADA Committee Parking Enforcement - DEAN informed the Committee of the process used by Sitka for parking enforcement; discussion followed.

MOTION: "Institute the process for issuing warning tickets for people who illegally park in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities", passes unanimously.

DEAN volunteers to pursue and follow up this item for the Committee.

B. Letter to Code Review Committee - HULL reported that neither the ANSI or ADA-AG code was adopted at the last meeting. The problem was misinformation.

The Code Review Committee passed the new ANSI to the Assembly for adoption without recommendation. CLARK encouraged members to attend the Assembly meeting.

C. Training for CBJ Employees - MILLER reported that Manager’s were being scheduled to attend the sensitivity training. Don Brandon, State ADA Coordinator, is the trainer. The focus of the training is "attitude" toward persons with disabilities.

D. DVR Fax - DEAN received a request from Duane French to propose a resolution, the same as Anchorage adopted, regarding support for the integration requirement of the ADA and sending a letter of support to the National League of Cities.

The Committee requested DEAN respond to Mr. French stating appreciation and since this case has already been heard a resolution would be after the fact.

E. DIPAC Hatchery Dock - DEAN reported that the dock itself is not accessible. Letters have been sent to DOT saying the dock needs to be accessible. The Committee will continue to monitor.

F. Bowling Alley - MUELLER-GUY reported that a complaint was received regarding accessibility. MUELLER-GUY volunteered to meet with the owner to discuss the need for accessibility. She will report back to the Committee.

G. Elevators , TDD - MUELLER-GUY reported on provisions for deaf persons for emergency notification in elevators and the information she has received. She is working on checking Juneau elevators and will report back to the Committee.

VI. Old Business

A. Building Code Review - The Committee covered this as item B., New Business.

B. For Hire Ordinance - CLARK reported that he had written a letter to the Task Force as requested by the Committee. DEAN reported the ordinance passed without anything in it on accessibility. Princess will provide rides to persons with disabilities even if they are not on a Princess tour.

C. Airport Master Plan - tabled until next meeting.

D. Accessible Fishing Pier - tabled until next meeting.

E. TTY Phones - tabled until next meeting.

VII. Chair Report - tabled until next meeting.

VIII. Agenda Items for Next Meeting - New Business: Meeting Place. Old Business: tabled items plus progress report on elevator phones.

IX. Adjournment: There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 7:07 p.m. The next meeting will be June 4, 1999 at SAIL.