City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

Historic Preservation in Juneau

Indian Village

What has come to be known as the "Indian Village" was traditionally called "Lingit Aani" by the local Tlingit people. The area was once the traditional summer village site of the Auk Tlingit Natives. The neighborhood lies within the area bounded by West Willoughby Avenue on the south, Distin Avenue on the north, Indian Street on the east, and Capital Avenue on the north. The entire neighborhood is recognized as an historic site of the Auke Village. Only a handful of historic buildings remain. These have not been surveyed and therefore are not named individually.


Native Village Neighborhood, circa 1900--Partridge, photographer
Alaska State  Historical Library



CBJ Image